Fieldwood Heritage Society
Canning, Kings County, Nova Scotia
|Wilf Carter's records|
The Compo Company was founded in Lachine, Quebec, late in 1918
by Herbert S. Berliner, then vice-president and general manager
of the Berliner Gram-O-Phone Company. Compo operated the first
independent Canadian disc-pressing plant. Only two Canadian
record companies survived the 1929-1939 economic crash and
depression – RCA Victor of Canada and Compo.
In 1950 Herbert Berliner sold Compo to Decca(US). Decca sold it to MCA Records in 1963. The Compo labels remained on the market until 1971. The Lachine pressing plant ceased production in the early 1970s.
The Compo Company by Steven C. Barr
Compo Company Limited The Virtual Gramophone
Compo Company Archive at the National Library of Canada
W3C HTML Validation Service
W3C CSS Validation Service
This FHS website is generously hosted by Ednet.
Nova Scotia Department of Education